MiTek History

The company was formed by a consortium of Australian timber merchants on January 17, 1963 and began trading as Automated Building Components (Aust.) Pty. Ltd. providing Gang-Nail timber connectors and engineering design services to roof truss fabricators under license. 


By 1970, Automated Building Components (Aust.) Pty. Ltd. had been acquired by Automated Building Components Inc., Miami, Florida, U.S.A., and in 1970 the Australian company purchased a 75% interest in Timber Engineering Company Pty. Ltd. (TECO) which manufactured numerous timber connectors for supply to the building industry.  A number of these products were manufactured under license to TECO Washington, U.S.A.  TECO became a fully owned subsidiary of A.B.C. (Aust.) Pty. Ltd. in 1973.  Over the years both companies grew through acquisition as the population and market expanded.


In 1979, Redland Plc., an English public company, acquired A.B.C. INC., and the Australian company subsequently changed its name to Gang‑Nail Australia Ltd. (GNA) and its parent company in the U.S. became Gang‑Nail Systems Inc. 

In November 1987 MiTek Industries, St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A., acquired the shares of Gang-Nail Systems Inc, Miami, Florida, U.S.A.  At that time Rexam Plc. (previously known as Bowater Plc.), London, became involved by acquiring 49% of MiTek.


Early in 1993 Rexam Plc. (then Bowater Plc.) increased its share holding in MiTek through its American subsidiary company, Rexam Inc. to 100%.


By 1990 GNA had rationalised its operations into two main segments: -

  • Roof trusses and wall frames:  The manufacture and provision of metal timber connectors, computer systems, engineering design services and roof truss and wall framing fabrication equipment. 
  • Building products:  Manufacture and supply of a wide range of builders hardware products to the building industry.

On January 1, 2000 Gang-Nail Australia Ltd. changed its name to MiTek Australia Ltd.

On the 31st of July 2001 MiTek officially became part of Warren Buffett’s financial empire with his holding company, Berkshire Hathaway, acquiring the 90% that had been owned by Rexham Plc. MiTek management retained the remaining 10%. 

Melbourne is the head office for MiTek Australia Ltd and is located at Lyndhurst, 25 kilometres south-east of Melbourne.  The company is represented through offices located in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and Kuala Lumpur.


MiTek Australia Ltd is proud of its continuing growth and high standing in the Australian and Asian building industry.